Situated at Bhakra village of Bilaspur, about 13 km upstream from Nangal township, it is one of the highest straight gravity dams in the world. The lake is about 90 km long covering an area of about 168 sq km of which 90 percent is in Bilaspur and 10 percent in Una district. The dam was dedicated to nation by late Pt. Jwahar Lal Nehru on November 20th, 1963. The view of vast dam and green jungles around is fascinating indeed.
The Bhakra Dam may well be termed as an engineering marvel "The hallmark of science and modern technology". It is virtually the central nervous system of northern India supplying electricity to the entire region helping to run industries, corporate houses etc. The Bhakra-Nangal multipurpose dams were among the earliest river valley development schemes undertaken by India after independence though the project had been conceived long before India became a free nation. Preliminary works commenced in 1946. Construction of the dam started in 1948, Jawahar Lal Nehru poured the first bucket of concrete into the foundations of Bhakra on 18 November 1955 and the dam was completed by the end of 1963. Successive stages were completed by the early 1970s.
Initially, the construction of the dam was started by Sir Louis Dane, the Lieutenant Governor of Punjab. But the project got delayed and was restarted soon after Independence. In October 1963 at the ceremony to mark the dedication of the Bhakra–Nangal Project to the Nation, Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru said, "This dam has been built with the unrelenting toil of man for the benefit of mankind and therefore is worthy of worship. May you call it a Temple or a Gurdwara or a Mosque, it inspires our admiration and reverence".
Bhakra combines modern technology and abundant natural beauty. The dam has been constructed across the perennial river Satluj which flows down the Shivalik ranges that surrounds the region. The surroundings are peaceful and ideal for spending a day away from the noisy towns and cities.
The basic tourist facilities are available at Nangal TownShip which is about 13 Kms from Bhakra. The state government run Kadamba Tourist Complex,Nangal, Distt. Ropar is located in the heart of the city. It is surrounded by lush green lawns.